If you're looking for an easy and delicious ice cream dessert to make for your next birthday party, or event, look no further than this recipe for Ice Cream Pizza!
A soft, chewy sugar cookie crust is topped with creamy vanilla ice cream and classic ice cream toppings.
Cut it into wedges to serve, and you'll be met with oohs and ahs and plenty of smiles as your guests devour their ice cream pizza dessert.
This isn't an ice cream recipe for pizza ice cream. It's a recipe for an Ice Cream Pizza!
We do have some unique ice cream flavors here, like Black Licorice Ice Cream and Matcha Ice Cream, but I might have to draw the line at Pizza Ice Cream! I just don't think that my favorite toppings (pepperoni and mushrooms anyone?) would make the best ice cream mix-ins.
If you really want to enjoy an Italian ice cream treat, check out my Stracciatella ice cream or Cannoli Ice cream recipes next.
We're also loving Cookie Butter Ice Cream right now.
To make the best ice cream pizza, simply start with a large sugar cookie crust, then top it with vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, a drizzle of melted white chocolate, and colorful toppings like M&Ms and rainbow sprinkles.
Everyone is going to love this fun and easy ice cream dessert!
Why You're Going to Love this Ice Cream Pizza Recipe
Ice cream pizza is completely customizable - the only limitation is your imagination! We're making ours with vanilla sugar cookie dough, vanilla ice cream, and traditional sundae toppings, but you can switch up any of the flavors or toppings to make this sweet pizza uniquely yours.
To match any dietary restrictions, choose gluten-free sugar cookie dough, dairy-free ice cream, or use any of your favorite allergy-friendly ingredients.
Use shortcuts to make this recipe fast and simple. Refrigerated cookie dough, store-bought ice cream, and jarred hot fudge sauce mean that there's minimal prep work needed.
But of course, you can make the cookie dough, fudge sauce, and vanilla ice cream from scratch if you want to! Follow our recipes to make the ingredients for ice cream pizza at home.
Ingredients in Homemade Ice Cream Pizza
Cookie Crust - Use store-bought or freshly prepared sugar cookie dough to make a soft and chewy pizza crust base for ice cream pizza.
Ice Cream - We're using vanilla, but try making this recipe with chocolate ice cream, peanut butter ice cream, or any flavor you enjoy.
White Chocolate Chips - Melt these in the microwave and drizzle over the pizza as a sweet decoration.
Hot Fudge - For color contrast and chocolatey flavor, a drizzle of hot fudge sauce is perfect! If you're not a hot fudge fan, try Caramel Sauce instead.
Colorful Chocolate Candy and Sprinkles - Make your ice cream pizza festive and fun with M&Ms and rainbow sprinkles. For a holiday or special theme, try using different colors. You only need a small handful of M&Ms, so you'll have extra to enjoy as a snack later, or toss them on top of an ice cream sundae.
How to Make Ice Cream Pizza from Scratch
- Preheat the oven and spread the cookie dough evenly onto a lightly greased 12-inch pizza pan.
- Bake as directed in the recipe below, until the cookie is golden brown on the edges. Let the cookie crust cool completely.
- While the cookie is cooling, set the ice cream out on the counter for 20 minutes to soften. Top the cookie with vanilla ice cream.
- Spread the softened ice cream over the cooled cookie, leaving about an inch border around the outside.
- Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between each, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Top the ice cream pizza with a drizzle of hot fudge, melted white chocolate, colorful sprinkles, and M&M candies.
- Freeze for 1 hour, until the ice cream is firm.
- Slice into wedges and serve.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions for making ice cream pizza, please see the recipe below.
How to Store Ice Cream Pizza
Homemade Ice Cream Pizza can be made ahead, wrapped well, and stored in the freezer. It's best if enjoyed within about a week of making it.
For easy serving, store this dessert in individual slices. When you're ready to serve, just pull out the number of servings you need from the freezer.
These storage tips also work for Ice Cream Pie and Ice Cream Cake!
Tips for Making This Ice Cream Pizza Recipe
Use quality ingredients – When making homemade ice cream pizza, you’ll want to make sure you are using high-quality ingredients for the best outcome. The better quality of your cookie dough and ice cream, the better this dessert will taste.
Underbake the dough - Because this dessert pizza will be frozen, you want the sugar cookie crust to be soft. If you bake it too long it will be too hard to eat. Bake just until the cookie is crisp on the edges, but the center is still chewy.
Chill out – Be sure to freeze the pizza after you've assembled it so that the ice cream has time to firm up again.
If you don't have a pizza pan, form the cookie dough into a circle or oval on a cookie sheet instead.
Wait before slicing - if the pizza has been in the freezer for more than an hour or so, you may need to let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes so that it's soft enough to slice.
Ice Cream Pizza Toppings
The colorful toppings on this ice cream pizza work well. There's something comforting about the simplicity of vanilla ice cream with fudge and chocolate candy.
That said, you can feel free to top your ice cream cookie pizza with anything you like! Try these:
Sauces: hot fudge sauce, caramel sauce, strawberry jam, raspberry compote, marshmallow sauce, butterscotch, melted peanut butter, melted chocolate.
Toppings: Chopped peanut butter cups, Snickers bars, or heath bars, Reese's Pieces, shaved chocolate, more sprinkles, or dollops of whipped topping.
More Homemade Ice Cream Dessert Recipes
We love making ice cream from scratch, and all of these desserts can be made with homemade ice cream! They're also easy to make with store-bought ice cream too.
Another treat we're enjoying are these Nutella scones. They are amazing topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Our Favorite Ice Cream Making Tools:
- Cuisinart 2QT Ice Cream Maker - Works with ice cream, sorbets, and frozen yogurt.
- Loaf Pan - You can use any 9 x 13 loaf pan or a shallow pan, but we like this one.
- Ice Cream Scoop - Make sure you have a good ice cream scoop. This is one of our favorites.
- Ice Cream Containers - We love keeping a couple of ice cream containers on hand for when we make homemade ice cream.
Note: Each of these links will take you to the exact product on Amazon. As an Amazon associate, I earn a little from each qualifying purchase.
LET'S GET SOCIAL, you can follow us on Pinterest or leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Did you make this Homemade Ice Cream Pizza Recipe? Leave a Comment Below letting us know what you thought and if you added any additional add-ins.
Easy Ice Cream Pizza
Ice Cream Pizza is an easy and delicious ice cream dessert to make for your next birthday party or special event. A soft sugar cookie crust, vanilla ice cream, and your favorite toppings are all you need.
- 16 oz sugar cookie dough
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup hot fudge
- 1 tbsp colorful sprinkles
- 2 tbsp M&Ms
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spread the sugar cookie dough evenly into a lightly greased 12-inch pizza pan.
- Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes, until the cookie is golden on the edges. Let cool completely.
- While the cookie is cooling, set the ice cream out on the counter for 20 minutes to soften. Top the cookie with the vanilla ice cream.
- Spread the softened ice cream over the cooled cookie, leaving an inch border around the sides.
- Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. This should take about 90 seconds total.
- Top the ice cream pizza with a drizzle of hot fudge, melted white chocolate, colorful sprinkles and M&M candies.
- Freeze for 1 hour, until ice cream is firm.
- Slice and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 469Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 278mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 1gSugar: 44gProtein: 5g
Leave a Question or Comment