You need just 7 simple ingredients to make this luscious homemade Mango Gelato recipe from scratch!
This egg-free gelato recipe is made with mango puree, milk, and heavy cream, and churned in your ice cream maker so that it has the perfect smooth and silky texture, along with the best tropical mango flavor.
You can easily make no-churn Mango Gelato too, and we'll tell you exactly how to do it here. Get ready for a fruity refreshing treat!
Learn how to make homemade Mango Gelato from scratch with this simple and amazing recipe!
You will also love our recipes for an easy Mango Milkshake and fresh Mango Popsicles.
Why You're Going to Love this Mango Gelato Recipe
It's an easy gelato recipe with no shortcuts. You'll find many recipes online for Mango Gelato with just 3 ingredients, but I'm not convinced that 3 ingredients are enough to make the most delicious mango gelato. This recipe uses 7 completely necessary (but easy-to-find) ingredients, and they are all worth it!
Mango Gelato is easy to make. This is a Philadelphia-style ice cream base recipe that we're churning into a rich and creamy gelato. That means that there is no cooking required, and no eggs in the recipe either.
This flavor is amazing! Mango gelato is not easy to find at the grocery store, and even if you could find it, it won't be nearly as good as this gelato that you make from scratch. Fresh mangoes at their peak plus a bit of lemon juice give this recipe a bright, fruity, fresh flavor that is SO good.
Can I Really Make Gelato at Home?
This recipe for mango gelato made in an ice cream maker is the closest thing that you can get to real Italian gelato at home without using a fancy and expensive gelato machine.
You see, the large machines that churn and freeze gelato work more slowly than modern at-home ice cream makers. This makes the finished frozen dessert denser, with less air incorporated.
I think you'll agree that your ice cream maker does an excellent job at turning this simple mixture of mango puree, sugar, and cream (among a few other things) into an amazing gelato. You won't get anything better unless you spring for one of those machines or you get on a plane to Italy!
Ingredients in Homemade Mango Gelato
Mango - You'll need three cups of diced, ripe mango to make a mango puree. You can also use pre-prepared mango puree. If you'd like to use frozen mango chunks, just be sure to let them thaw first.
Sugar - Granulated white sugar is the simple option here, and is the most effective way to get the right sweetness and the perfect texture in your ice cream. We will use sugar to make the mango puree, and also in the creamy gelato base.
Lemon Juice - a squeeze of fresh lemon adds a bright flavor, plus it helps to keep the mango its beautiful yellow color.
Heavy Cream - The high fat content in heavy cream is what makes this gelato recipe so decadent!
Whole Milk - A blend of both whole milk and heavy cream creates the perfect creamy texture.
Vanilla Extract - Vanilla elevates the flavor of the milk and cream.
Salt - A bit of kosher salt adds balance to the sweetness of the sugar and mangoes and makes this mango gelato taste amazing.
If you have any questions about the ingredients in mango gelato, please leave a comment below and I will get back to you.
How to Make Mango Gelato from Scratch
Start the day before by making sure that the bowl for your ice cream maker has at least 24 hours to freeze solid.
- Make mango puree by adding the diced mango ¼ cup of granulated sugar and lemon juice to a food processor. Blend until smooth and set aside. You will need about 2 cups of mango puree.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining granulated sugar, heavy cream, whole milk, vanilla extract, and kosher salt. Whisk for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved into the mixture. You should not feel any grit if you rub the mixture together between two fingers.
- Add the mango puree to the milk mixture.
- Stir until fully incorporated.
- Churn the gelato mixture in the bowl of your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions until it is thick and the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. Mine took about 25 minutes.
- Spoon the mango gelato into a shallow container or a loaf pan. Press plastic wrap or wax paper to the surface of the ice cream and freeze for at least 4 hours, or until solid.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions for making mango gelato from scratch, please see the recipe below.
How to Store Mango Gelato
Store this homemade Mango Gelato in the freezer in an airtight container with a piece of parchment paper or wax paper pressed on top for up to one month. The paper will ensure that no ice crystals form on the surface of your gelato.
Tips for Making This Mango Gelato Recipe
Use quality ingredients – When making homemade gelato, you’ll want to make sure you are using high-quality ingredients for the best outcome.
Use Ripe Mangoes - Fresh and ripe mangoes will give you the best flavor, but you can use mango puree or frozen mangoes if that's what you have access to. A perfectly ripe mango will give slightly when squeezed and will smell amazing.
Chill out – If possible, always start with chilled ingredients. This is important for homemade no-churn gelato recipes and ice cream maker recipes.
Don’t skimp on the fat – High-fat milk and cream are essential when making homemade gelato. Opting for a low-fat option often leads to icy ice creams and inconsistency in the texture.
Don’t go crazy with the add-ins – If you’re adding in additional ingredients, pick one or two and make sure they are chopped into pieces no larger than a blueberry or pea. If you're considering adding more than the called-for amount of mango puree, don't! Too much moisture in the gelato base can cause iciness.
Don’t skimp on the sugar – Sugar not only adds sweetness to homemade gelato recipes, but it also helps with the texture.
Can I Use Frozen Mangoes to Make Mango Gelato?
Yes, frozen diced mango can be used to make this ice cream recipe. Allow the mango to thaw and drain the liquid from it before making the mango puree.
What Can I Use Instead of a Food Processor to Puree Mango?
Make mango puree using a high-speed blender if you don't have a food processor. A hand blender should work too. The key is to break down the fruit as much as possible so that there are no large chunks of mango in the gelato that will get hard and icy.
No Churn Mango Gelato Directions
Chill a shallow container or a loaf pan in the freezer while you mix the ice cream ingredients.
Pour the gelato mixture into the prepared pan and freeze for 3-4 hours. Stir every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours to help add air. This will help create a creamy, smooth texture.
Mango Gelato Add-Ins
The tropical flavor of mangoes can be elevated with the right gelato mix-ins. Try stirring in sweetened flaked coconut, chopped almonds, crushed coconut cookies, or chopped white chocolate during the last few minutes of churning.
Some crushed pineapple would also be delicious (just be sure to go light on it, too much fruit will affect the texture of the gelato), or top your mango gelato with pineapple ice cream topping before serving.
A little bit of heat pairs beautifully with mango too. Consider sprinkling on a bit of chili salt or tajin spice before freezing the gelato, or after serving. Cinnamon and cardamom will also add spice with less heat.
More Homemade Ice Cream and Gelato Recipes
- Stracciatella Gelato
- Cherry Gelato Recipe
- Cantaloupe Ice Cream
- Lime Sorbet
- Rum Raisin Ice Cream
- Rolled Ice Cream
Our Favorite Ice Cream Making Tools:
- Cuisinart 2QT Ice Cream Maker - Works with ice cream, sorbets, and frozen yogurt.
- Loaf Pan - You can use any 9 x 13 loaf pan or a shallow pan, but we like this one.
- Ice Cream Scoop - Make sure you have a good ice cream scoop. This is one of our favorites.
- Ice Cream Bowls - You can use any bowl, but we think these are fun.
- Ice Cream Containers - We love keeping a couple of ice cream containers on hand for when we make homemade ice cream.
Note: Each of these links will take you to the exact product on Amazon. As an Amazon associate, I earn a little from each qualifying purchase.
LET'S GET SOCIAL, you can follow us on Pinterest or leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Did you make this Homemade Mango Gelato Recipe? Leave a Comment Below letting us know what you thought and if you added any additional add-ins.
You need just 7 simple ingredients to make this luscious homemade Mango Gelato recipe from scratch with real, fresh mango and cream.
- 3 cups ripe mango, diced
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- Chill the ice cream bowl for at least 24 hours or until solid. You should not hear any water sloshing around when you shake the bowl.
- Add the diced mango, ¼ cup of the granulated sugar, and lemon juice to a food processor. Blend until smooth. Set aside. You should get about 2 cups of mango puree total.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining granulated sugar, heavy cream, whole milk, vanilla extract and kosher salt.
- Whisk for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved into the mixture. You should not feel any grit if you rub the mixture together between two fingers.
- Add the mango puree to the milk mixture and stir until fully incorporated.
- Churn the gelato mixture in the bowl of your ice cream machine according to your manufacturer’s instructions (mine took about 25 minutes), until it is thick and the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
- Spoon the gelato into a shallow container or a loaf pan.
- Press plastic wrap or wax paper to the surface of the gelato. Freeze for at least 4 hours, or until solid. Let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 443Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 93mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 41gProtein: 4g
Leave a Question or Comment