Sweet Cream Ice Cream is a delicious and simple Philadelphia style churned ice cream that you can make at home with four simple ingredients.
This sweet cream ice cream recipe is naturally gluten free, egg-free, and nut-free.
The addition of sea salt turns this sweet cream ice cream into the perfect sea salt ice cream recipe!
You are going to love making this French Silk Ice Cream too. For another sweat and creamy ice cream flavor, try this mascarpone ice cream.
Looking for a chocolate ice cream recipe? No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream is simple and yummy.
WHY YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE SWEET CREAM ICE CREAM
This is a sea salt ice cream recipe using sweet cream. Sea salt gives a savory, salty tone to the ice cream without making it too salty. The salt balances out the sweetness perfectly.
No cooking required for this sweet cream ice cream recipe. Because there are no eggs in this recipe, there's no need to cook the base, which means that your ice cream will be ready faster.
Sweet cream ice cream is very simply flavored, making it a perfect ice cream for adding your favorite toppings, creating sundaes, or using it for milkshakes.
We've been enjoying it sandwiched between two vegan pumpkin cookies.
INGREDIENTS IN SWEET CREAM ICE CREAM
Whole Milk - Whole milk is the first of two dairy products used to create our ice cream base.
Heavy Cream - Heavy cream, mixed with whole milk creates the perfect, creamy texture.
Granulated Sugar - This is our simple sweetener for this recipe. The combination of sugar and salt creates this irresistible flavor.
Sea Salt - Choose a fine sea salt so that it distributes well into the ice cream base. A bit of salt balances the sweetness here and turns this sweet cream ice cream into a sea salt ice cream.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET CREAM ICE CREAM
- In a large bowl, combine whole milk and granulated sugar. Whisk for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved into the milk. You should not feel any grit if you rub the mixture between two fingers.
- Then add the heavy cream and sea salt and whisk until combined.
- Add the ice cream base mixture into the bowl if your ice cream machine.
- Churn the ice cream mixture in the bowl of your ice cream machine according to your manufacturer's instructions, until it is thick and the consistency of soft serve ice cream.
- Spoon the ice cream into a shallow container or a loaf pan. Press plastic wrap or wax paper to the surface of the ice cream.
- Freeze for at least four hours, or until solid. Let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes before serving.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
HOW TO STORE SWEET CREAM ICE CREAM
Store this Sweet Cream ice cream in the freezer in an airtight container (we really like these reusable ice cream containers) with a piece of parchment paper or wax paper pressed on top for up to one month.
Because the addition of sea sat makes this a sea salt ice cream, it may store longer. Salt expands the storage time in this recipe.
TIPS FOR MAKING SWEET CREAM ICE CREAM
Use quality ingredients – When making homemade ice cream, you’ll want to make sure you are using high quality ingredients for the best outcome.
Chill out – If possible, always start with chilled ingredients. This is important for homemade no-churn ice cream recipes and ice cream maker recipes.
Don’t skimp on the fat – High fat milks and creams are essential when making homemade ice cream. Opting for a low-fat option often leads to icy ice creams and inconsistency in the texture.
Don’t go crazy with the add-ins – If you’re adding in additional ingredients, pick one or two and make sure they are chopped into pieces no larger than a blueberry or pea.
Don’t skimp on the sugar – Sugar not only adds sweetness to homemade ice creams, it also helps with the texture. Sugar is essential for the creamy texture in ice cream.
NO CHURN SWEET CREAM ICE CREAM
Chill a shallow container or a loaf pan in the freezer while you mix the ice cream ingredients.
Pour the ice cream mixture into the prepared pan and freeze for 3-4 hours. Stir the ice cream every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours to help add air. This will help create a creamy, smooth texture.
SWEET CREAM ICE CREAM ADD-INS
Sweet cream ice cream is like a blank canvas, you can add so many yummy things! Even as a sea salt ice cream, there's so much you can add:
- Shaved white or semi-sweet chocolate
- Rainbow Sprinkles
- Chopped chocolate covered pretzels
- Chopped candy bar pieces
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
Enjoy any of these ice cream flavors with a slice of strawberry blueberry pie.
Here are some of our favorite things for making ice cream from scratch:
- Cuisinart 2QT Ice Cream Maker - Works with ice cream, sorbets, and frozen yogurt.
- Loaf Pan - You can use any 9 x 13 loaf pan or a shallow pan, but we like this one.
- Ice Cream Scoop - Make sure you have a good ice cream scoop. This is one of our favorites.
- Ice Cream Containers - We love keeping a couple of ice cream containers on hand for when we make homemade ice cream.
Note: Each of these links will take you to the exact product on Amazon. As an Amazon associate, I earn a little from each qualifying purchase.
LET'S GET SOCIAL, you can follow us on Pinterest or leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Did you make this Sweet Cream ice cream recipe? Leave a comment below letting us know what you thought of this Sea Salt Ice Cream and if you added any additional add-ins.
Sweet Cream Ice Cream
Sweet Cream Ice Cream with sea salt is a delicious and simple Philadelphia style churned ice cream that you can make at home with four simple ingredients.
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- Chill the ice cream bowl for at least 24 hours or until solid. You should not hear any water sloshing around when you shake the bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine whole milk and granulated sugar. Whisk for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved into the milk. You should not feel any grit if you rub the mixture together between two fingers.
- Then, add the heavy cream and sea salt and mix until combined.
- Churn the ice cream mixture in the bowl of your ice cream machine according to your manufacturer’s instructions (mine took about 25 minutes), until it is thick and the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
- Spoon the ice cream into a shallow container or a loaf pan.
- Press plastic wrap or wax paper to the surface of the ice cream. Freeze for at least 4 hours, or until solid.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Your ice cream base and ice cream bowl both need to be very cold in order for it to churn properly. If your base is not cold, place it in the freezer for an hour or so until it is.
- It's very important that the sugar dissolves fully into the milk. This will ensure that your ice cream has a smooth consistency.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Set of 2 Reusable Ice Cream Tub Containers For Homemade Ice Cream 1.6 Quart
Cusinart ICE-70P1 2-Quart Cool Creations Ice Cream, Frozen Yogurt, Gelato and Sorbet Maker, LCD Screen with Countdown Timer, Makes Frozen Treats in 20-Minutes or Less, Stainless Steel
KitchenAid KO117OHAQA Gourmet Ice Cream Scoop, One Size, Matte Aqua Sky
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 0gSugar: 29gProtein: 4g
I just made this for the 4th and it turned out perfect! My family all said it needs to be the only kind I have on hand now. I wanted an egg free recipe because traditional recipes are way too rich for our liking and we always end up with stomachaches after only a few bites. Thank you for this!
Thank you for stopping back by and letting us know that your family loved it.
The Ice Cream from Scratch Team
I am having no luck finding Heavy Cream where I am located (and heavy whipping cream is not the same due to fat content and becomes more fluffy than I want).
Do you have any suggestions for replacement of the Heavy Cream?
You can try full fat coconut cream, if you don't want to use heavy whipping cream and can't find heavy cream.
The Ice Cream From Scratch Team
Has anyone tried this recipe in the Ninja Cream machine. I want to make a sweet cream recipe and this one sounds great.