Butter Brickle Ice Cream is a rich butter toffee flavored creamy dessert with sweet, crunchy toffee bits mixed in. This easy recipe will teach you exactly how to make this old-fashioned and classic ice cream flavor at home, with just 7 ingredients.
You are going to love being able to create this old-fashioned butter brickle ice cream recipe at home!
I have fond memories of my family ordering big tubs of butter brickle from Schwann’s frozen food delivery truck. We were always so excited to see that ice cream truck on our block!
You can’t always find butter brickle at the grocery store anymore, so this recipe is the easiest way to enjoy a nostalgic treat.
Why You’re Going to Love This Butter Brickle Ice Cream Recipe
- This recipe is creamy and delicous, and it requires only a handful of ingredients.
- Many of our ice cream recipes use a French-style custard to make them rich and creamy, but this recipe is made with the easier and faster Philadelphia-style method.
- There is no cooking involved, and no eggs to temper. It also means that you don’t need to wait for your ice cream base to cool before adding it to the machine.
Ingredients in Homemade Butter Brickle Ice Cream
- Heavy Cream – For lusciously rich and creamy ice cream, heavy cream is the obvious choice.
- Whole Milk – But we’ll also use whole milk because the blend of both is what makes the texture of this recipe perfect.
- Brown Sugar and Granulated Sugar – Sugar is one of the most important ingredients in ice cream, and in butter brickle, a combination of both brown sugar and regular granulated sugar adds to the caramel and toffee flavors, making the ice cream base just a bit richer.
- Butter Extract – This is the not-so-secret ingredient that makes butter brickle ice cream so rich and delicious! Look for butter extract in the baking section of the grocery store, near the other flavor extracts.
- Kosher Salt – Just a bit helps to round out the sweet and salty flavor of this ice cream. Use kosher salt rather than table salt whenever possible, but if you only have table salt, use a bit less of it in this recipe.
- Toffee Pieces – You need about a cup of chopped toffee. You can use plain toffee, but I like to chop up Heath or Skor candy bars instead. The chocolate on the candy bars adds a little bit of extra character. You can also look for Heath chunks (with chocolate) or Heath bits (without chocolate) in the baking aisle.
For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
How to Store Butter Brickle Ice Cream
Store this homemade Butter Brickle Ice Cream in the freezer in an airtight container with a piece of parchment paper or wax paper pressed on top for up to one month.
Does Butter Brickle Ice Cream Have Nuts?
Generally, butter brickle ice cream is nut free. English toffee is sometimes made with nuts though, so be sure to check the ingredients if you’re concerned with nut allergies.
Do They Still Sell Butter Brickle Ice Cream?
Depending on where you live, you may find butter brickle in the freezer of your supermarket. It’s an older flavor that seems to have been replaced with newer, more exciting ones, but if you’re lucky you might see it pop up as a “special edition” or seasonal offering.
No Churn Butter Brickle Ice Cream Directions
Chill a shallow container or a loaf pan in the freezer while you mix the ice cream ingredients.
Pour the ice cream mixture into the prepared pan and freeze for 3-4 hours. Stir the ice cream every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours to help add air. This will help create a creamy, smooth texture.
Add the toffee pieces at the end of the two-hour time period so that they will incorporate evenly into the butter brickle ice cream base.
Butter Brickle Ice Cream Add-Ins
Caramel sauce or butterscotch ice cream topping can be swirled into butter brickle ice cream just before the final freezing step. Chopped chocolate bars, crushed cookies, or sprinkles are always fun to add to homemade ice cream as well.
More Amazing Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
- Coconut Ice Cream
- Mango Ice Cream
- Bubblegum Ice Cream
- Butterscotch Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
LET’S GET SOCIAL, you can follow us on Pinterest or leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Did you make this Homemade Butter Brickle Ice Cream Recipe? Leave a Comment Below letting us know what you thought and if you added any additional add-ins.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp butter extract
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped toffee pieces (plain or chocolate-covered toffee pieces)
- Chill the ice cream bowl for at least 24 hours or until solid. You should not hear any water sloshing around when you shake the bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the heavy cream, whole milk, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter extract, and kosher salt.
- Whisk for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved into the mixture. You should not feel any grit if you rub the mixture together between two fingers.
- Churn the ice cream mixture in the bowl of your ice cream machine according to your manufacturer’s instructions (mine took about 25 minutes), until it is thick and the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
- In the last two minutes of the churn, add the toffee pieces and churn just until mixed.
- Spoon the ice cream into a shallow container or a loaf pan.
- Press plastic wrap or wax paper to the surface of the ice cream. Freeze for at least 4 hours, or until solid.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Butter extract is key to getting the butter brickle flavor in this recipe! You can swap it for vanilla extract, but it won't be quite the same.
- We love chocolate covered toffee pieces in this recipe, but plain toffee pieces will also be delicious.
- It’s very important that your ice cream bowl is frozen, and that the mixture is really cold before going into the ice cream machine to churn. If you find that it is not cold enough, let it chill in the refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes before churning. If it’s not cold enough, it will not get thick.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 614Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 137mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 0gSugar: 53gProtein: 4g