Homemade Bubblegum Ice Cream is creamy, sweet, pink, and studded with confetti sprinkles. This ice cream is super fun and completely delicious!
We’re making Bubblegum ice cream in an ice cream maker, using a Philadelphia style ice cream base.
This means that there are no eggs in the recipe, and it’s quicker to make than a traditional French base ice cream. .
Bubblegum ice cream is gluten free (check the gum balls), nut free, and egg free
Sweet, fun, kid-friendly and kid-approved ice cream recipes are the best!
Why you’re going to love this Bubble Gum Ice Cream recipe
Feel Like a Kid Again! Do you remember Baskin Robins Bubblegum ice cream? Of their 31 flavors, bubblegum ice cream at Baskin Robbins was always my favorite.
There was a time when they took it off the menu, can you believe it?! No worries, this bubblegum ice cream is even better than that one.
Kids Love This Flavor. Little ones won’t be able to resist this fun bubblegum ice cream flavor. Let them help you make it!
Colorful and Fun. Bright colorful sprinkles and some pink food coloring make this ice cream as fun to look at as it is to eat.
Garnish with a couple of gum balls to make this dessert one that will last.
No Cooking Required. Philadelphia style ice cream is egg free, so there is no cooking required. This means your ice cream base will be ready faster and there’s no chilling required before churning.
A From Scratch Ice Cream Recipe. Other recipes out there for bubblegum ice cream use sweetened condensed milk in place of the milk and sugar.
This makes a fast ice cream, but the texture is lacking. Use this recipe to get the best tasting homemade bubblegum ice cream.
Ingredients in Homemade Bubble Gum Ice Cream
Gather these ingredients to make your homemade bubble gum ice cream. The measurements and amounts are listed in the recipe card below.
Heavy Cream – The basis for all good ice creams is rich heavy cream.
Whole Milk – A mix of both heavy cream and whole milk creates the perfect ice cream texture.
Granulated Sugar – Any good ice cream will have a good amount of sugar in it, both for sweetness and texture.
Bubblegum Flavoring – You’ll need between 1 and 2 teaspoons of this flavor ingredient. Read below if you need help finding some.
Vanilla Extract – This, along with the bubblegum flavoring gives this ice cream it’s sweet, delicious flavor.
Salt – A bit of kosher salt helps to balance the sweetness of the ice cream base.
Food Coloring – You can use either pink or red food coloring to get the ice cream to the perfect pink bubblegum color.
Confetti Sprinkles – I like the small round rainbow sprinkles as shown in the images. They won’t bleed color into the ice cream base. Jimmies can be used as well or a mix of the two. Avoid using nonpareils, they will change the color of the ice cream base into a muddy mess.
Gumballs – Small gumballs are used to garnish individual servings of bubblegum ice cream.
How to Make Bubblegum Ice Cream from Scratch
- In a large bowl, combine the heavy cream, whole milk, granulated sugar, bubblegum flavoring, vanilla extract, and kosher salt. Whisk for 2-3 minutes until the sugar is dissolved into the mixture. You can test to be sure by rubbing a bit of the mixture between your fingers. When there is no grit, you can be sure that the sugar has dissolved.
- Add pink or red food coloring until you reach your desired shade of pink.
- Churn the ice cream mixture in the bowl of your ice cream machine according to your manufacturer’s instructions until it is thick and the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. Mine took about 25 minutes.
- When there are two minutes left on the churn, add in the confetti sprinkles, reserving one tablespoon for later.
- Spoon the ice cream into a shallow container or loaf pan. Top with the remaining sprinkles. Press plastic wrap or wax paper to the surface of the ice cream. Freeze for at least 4 hours, or until solid.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes before serving, topped with gumballs.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes.
For the complete list of ingredients and instructions in this Bubblegum Ice Cream, please see the recipe below.
How to Store Bubblegum Ice Cream
Store this Bubblegum ice cream in the freezer in an airtight container (we really like these reusable ice cream containers).
Press a piece of parchment paper or wax paper to the surface of the ice cream. Stored properly, homemade ice cream will last for 1 month.
Tips for making this Bubblegum Ice Cream Recipe
Use quality ingredients – When making homemade ice cream, you’ll want to make sure you are using high quality ingredients for the best outcome.
Chill out – If possible, always start with chilled ingredients. This is important for homemade no-churn ice cream recipes and ice cream maker recipes.
You also must remember to chill the ice cream bowl insert for your machine 24 hours ahead of time.
Don’t skimp on the fat – High fat milks and creams are essential when making homemade ice cream. Opting for a low-fat option often leads to icy ice creams and inconsistency in the texture.
Don’t go crazy with the add-ins – If you’re adding in additional ingredients, pick one or two and make sure they are chopped into pieces no larger than a blueberry or pea.
Don’t skimp on the sugar – Sugar not only adds sweetness to homemade ice creams, it also helps with the texture. Sugar is essential for the creamy texture in ice cream.
Add a Small Amount of Food coloring – The amount of food coloring you need to add to Bubblegum ice cream will depend on if you’re using liquid or gel colors, and if you are using red or pink coloring.
Add just a drop at a time until you get the desired effect.
Don’t overdo the Flavor – Bubblegum flavoring can be very strong, and each brand is a bit different. Start with just 1 teaspoon of extract and add more only if needed.
No Churn Bubblegum Ice Cream Directions
You can make bubblegum ice cream without an ice cream maker by following these simple steps.
Chill a shallow container or loaf pan in the freezer while you mix the ice cream ingredients. Mix in the sprinkles, reserving one tablespoon.
Pour the ice cream mixture into the prepared pan and freeze for 3-4 hours. Stir the ice cream every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours to help add air. This will help create a creamy, smooth texture.
Sprinkle the remaining sprinkles on top of the ice cream after the last stir, then serve or store as directed in the recipe.
Bubble Gum Ice Cream Add-ins
This recipe already has a lot going on with the bubblegum flavor and the colorful sprinkles, but you can get creative and add different things to your ice cream.
Try adding other colorful small candies, such as Nerds, candy coated mini chocolate chips, or rainbow funfetti chips. These may change the color of your ice cream, but it could be worth trying.
Do I add gumballs into the bubblegum ice cream?
While you can add gumballs into the ice cream, I chose not to. I get confused about gum inside of ice cream. Am I supposed to swallow it? Spit it out? Chew the gum while I eat the ice cream?
Instead, I like to add a few small gumballs to each dish of ice cream. Then you can enjoy the gum after the ice cream is eaten.
What Flavor is Bubblegum?
Bubblegum is a hard flavor to pinpoint, because it is a mix of a number of different flavor compounds. Typically, bubblegum flavor comes from a combination of fruit flavors, often with some type of spicy flavor added in.
Bubblegum flavor has been described as a strawberry-banana-punch flavor. There may also be hints of other berries, cherry, orange, lemon, wintergreen, clove, or cinnamon.
Bubblegum extract is generally made using artificial flavors, however if you look on the internet you may be able to find an organic bubblegum flavoring that will work.
Where to Buy Bubblegum Flavoring
On Amazon or in shops that sell candy-making supplies, you should be able to find LorAnn flavor oils and flavorings.
There are small bottles of flavor oils, and larger containers of flavoring in an alcohol base. Either will work.
Keep in mind that these flavorings are much stronger than typical baking extracts, so you don’t need to use very much.
Start with 1 teaspoon or less of the extract, and add more only if needed after you taste the ice cream base.
Use the extra bubblegum extract to make Bubblegum Cupcakes!
Can I use this recipe to make Blue Bubblegum Ice Cream?
Of course you can. Just use blue food coloring instead of red or pink.
Can I make bubblegum ice cream without food coloring?
You can leave the food coloring out of the recipe if you prefer, it will still taste delicious. Many bubblegum flavorings have color added to them, so if you’re trying to make a dye free ice cream, check the ingredients in the flavoring before you start.
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
If you enjoy this Bubblegum Ice Cream recipe, I think you’ll love these homemade ice cream flavors too:
Here are our Favorite Ice Cream Making Tools:
- Cuisinart 2QT Ice Cream Maker – Works with ice cream, sorbets, and frozen yogurt.
- Loaf Pan – You can use any 9 x 13 loaf pan or a shallow pan, but we like this one.
- Ice Cream Scoop – Make sure you have a good ice cream scoop. This is one of our favorites.
- Ice Cream Containers – We love keeping a couple of ice cream containers on hand for when we make homemade ice cream.
Note: Each of these links will take you to the exact product on Amazon. As an Amazon associate, I earn a little from each qualifying purchase.
LET’S GET SOCIAL, you can follow us on Pinterest or leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Did you make this Bubble Gum Ice Cream Recipe? Leave a comment below letting us know what you thought and if you added any additional add-ins.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons bubblegum flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Pink or red food coloring
- ½ cup confetti sprinkles
- 1 cup gumballs, for decoration
- Chill the ice cream bowl for at least 24 hours or until solid. You should not hear any water sloshing around when you shake the bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the heavy cream, whole milk, granulated sugar, bubblegum flavoring, vanilla extract, and kosher salt.
- Whisk for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved into the mixture. You should not feel any grit if you rub the mixture together between two fingers.
- Add the pink or red food coloring until you reach your desired pink color.
- Churn the ice cream mixture in the bowl of your ice cream machine according to your manufacturer’s instructions (mine took about 25 minutes), until it is thick and the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
- In the last two minutes of the churn, add the confetti sprinkles, reserving one tablespoon for later.
- Spoon the ice cream into a shallow container or a loaf pan. Top with remaining sprinkles.
- Press plastic wrap or wax paper to the surface of the ice cream. Freeze for at least 4 hours, or until solid.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes before serving. Serve with gumballs.
- Plan ahead by making sure that your ice cream maker bowl is in the freezer at least 24 hours before you're going to make ice cream.
- Keeping all of your ingredients cold is key to making sure the ice cream sets up in the ice cream maker. If your ice cream base mixture isn't cold enough, place it in the fridge for 20 minutes before churning.
- Bubblegum flavoring can be found online or in places that sell candy making supplies. Some brands are stronger than others, so add half of the amount to start. Taste the ice cream base, and add more if needed.
- Homemade ice cream can be stored in the freezer for up to one month. Keep it in an airtight container with a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper pressed to the surface of the ice cream to keep ice crystals from developing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Set of 2 Reusable Ice Cream Tub Containers For Homemade Ice Cream 1.6 Quart
Cusinart ICE-70P1 2-Quart Cool Creations Ice Cream, Frozen Yogurt, Gelato and Sorbet Maker, LCD Screen with Countdown Timer, Makes Frozen Treats in 20-Minutes or Less, Stainless Steel
KitchenAid KO117OHAQA Gourmet Ice Cream Scoop, One Size, Matte Aqua Sky
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 0gSugar: 38gProtein: 4g