This Hot Chocolate Ice Cream is a fun combination of two classic desserts. The ice cream has a chocolate custard base that’s flavored with hot cocoa mix before being churned with mini marshmallow bits.
Enjoy frozen hot chocolate ice cream topped with whipped cream, or add a few more marshmallows on top – just like you would a cup of hot chocolate!
Hot Chocolate Ice Cream is the perfect cozy frozen treat! Curl up by a fire with a frozen dessert that tastes like a cup of hot cocoa, but has all the rich and creamy things you love about ice cream as well. This delicious recipe is the perfect way to get your hot chocolate fix.
This French-style chocolate custard ice cream is flavored with real chocolate and hot cocoa mix, then churned with plenty of mini marshmallow bits. It’s perfect with a dollop of fresh whipped cream or turned into a hot chocolate sundae with some hot fudge sauce.
Why You’re Going to Love This Recipe
- A Rich, Smooth, Handmade Ice Cream Base: There are plenty of recipes for no-churn hot cocoa ice cream, but this recipe is the real deal. A custard made with egg yolks, cream, and melted chocolate has so much chocolate flavor and the best creamy ice cream texture.
- Mini Marshmallows: These were always my favorite part of a mug of hot chocolate! Luckily, you can now make or buy these tiny dehydrated marshmallow bits and add them to this recipe.
- An Easy Recipe: I’m giving you all the details, plus step-by-step instructions and photos so you will have no trouble making the best hot chocolate ice cream at home.
- You can use your own hot cocoa mix, just make sure the amount added is the same.
If you’re looking for a churn ice cream recipe version, this chocolate marshmallow ice cream is pretty close.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Egg Yolks: These create the base for our ice cream custard. We’ll gently heat the egg yolks to cook them, but you can also purchase pasteurized eggs if you prefer.
- Granulated Sugar: Sweetens the ice cream and helps keep the ice cream from getting too icy.
- Milk and Heavy Cream: A mix of both heavy cream and whole milk is what gives us the perfect creamy texture.
- Salt: Helps to balance out the sweetness of the sugar and elevate the flavor of the chocolate.
- Hot Cocoa Mix: Powdered hot chocolate mix has a very distinct chocolate flavor so we’re using it to flavor this recipe. I’m using Land O Lakes Chocolate Supreme, but any brand can be used. You can use a homemade hot chocolate recipe if you like.
- Vanilla Extract: This enhances all of the flavors in the ice cream recipe.
- Marshmallow Bits: These are smaller than mini marshmallows so they incorporate more smoothly into the ice cream. You could also use mini marshmallows, but I would suggest cutting them into smaller pieces first.
For the complete list of ingredients and instructions for how to make hot chocolate ice cream, please see the printable recipe card below.
Ice Cream Storage Instructions
Store this homemade hot chocolate ice cream in the freezer in an airtight container with a piece of parchment paper or wax paper pressed on top for up to one month.
Expert Recipe Tips
- Be sure that your ice cream base is chilled before adding it to the ice cream machine. Since this base is cooked, it will need a minimum of six hours in the fridge to get cold enough.
- Add Other Mix Ins – chopped dark chocolate, chocolate syrup, mini chocolate chips, or chopped Oreo cookies would all be delicious in hot chocolate ice cream. My kids love adding peanut butter.
- We haven’t tried dairy-free ingredients in this recipe, but when we do we will stop back by and update this post. Just note that changing the ingredients will result in different flavors.
- We haven’t tried making this ice cream in a ninja creami machine. If you want to try, cut the recipe in half to start.
What questions do you have about this tasty treat? Leave them in the comment section below and I will get back to you.
This simple recipe would be perfect in hot chocolate floats! It’s a fun a festive treat that you can enjoy during the holiday season. Looking for more frozen treats? We have a few that you will love.
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Mexican Vanilla Ice Cream
- Cherry Cordial Ice Cream
- Coffee Ice Cream
- Caramel Ice Cream
- Chocolate Milkshake
- Earl Grey Ice Cream
LET’S GET SOCIAL, you can follow us on Pinterest or leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Did you make this Homemade Hot Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe? Leave a Comment Below letting us know what you thought and if you added any additional add-ins.
- 4 large egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 packet (1.25 ounces) hot cocoa mix
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup marshmallow bits
- Freeze your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
In a heat safe bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and granulated sugar until well combined.
- Add the whole milk and kosher salt to a medium saucepan set over medium heat and warm it until it starts to bubble around the edges.
- Slowly temper the egg yolks by pouring the hot milk into the egg yolks mixture while whisking constantly.
- Then transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and place it back over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3-5 minutes or until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the custard through a sieve into a large clean bowl. Next add the chopped chocolate and stir until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Then add the heavy cream, hot chocolate mix, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Cover the ice cream base with plastic wrap (make sure the plastic wrap is touching the surface of the ice cream so it doesn't form a skin) and place it in the fridge to chill– at least 4 hours, but overnight is preferred.
- When the ice cream base is chilled, churn it in your ice cream maker until it has a soft serve consistency. In my Kitchenaid Ice Cream attachment, this took about 15 minutes.
- Stir the marshmallow bits into the ice cream and then transfer it to a loaf pan. Wrap the pan tightly in plastic wrap and freeze until solid– at least 6 hours. Then scoop and enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 137mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 19gProtein: 5g